Thursday 25 December 2014

Spicy Butternut and Orange Soup

Benjamin's Favourite Butternut Soup

It's now a tradition in our family to have Butternut Soup as a starter for our Christmas Eve dinner. And this year, Ben helped me make it. 
Usually I would make a straight forward one... Butternut, chicken stock and I think some cream, BUT because my recipe books are still "boxed up", I went to one of my, now favourite sites: www.pinkpolkadotfood.com.
They had two options to choose from, so we went for the spicy one.... and we sort of followed the instructions :-)! You will see my high-lighted comments - I use what I have in the kitchen!

I must say that this recipe is the best I have tasted, ever! We had the leftovers for lunch on Christmas day and it tasted even better!! 

Try it. You won't use another Butternut Soup recipe again! 


Oops, missed that drop...

Ingredients

Pre-heat the oven to 180ÂșC.

  • 60ml olive oil
  • 2 leeks, sliced [ I used 1x]
  • 30ml medium curry powder
  • 10ml cumin powder
  • 15ml coriander powder
  • 5ml fresh ginger [ I used ground ginger]
  • 10ml turmeric
  • 1 large cinnamon stick [ I used 5ml ground cinnamon]
  • 2kg cubed butternut [ I used 1.6Kg]
  • 3l vegetable stock [ I used veg stock powder with 1.5L water]
  • juice and grated skin of 3 large oranges [I only used the juice]
  • 30ml honey
  • salt and freshly grounded black pepper
  • 125ml cream
  • chives

Method

Place the olive oil into a large roasting tin and place into the oven to heat.
Once hot, place the leeks, curry, cumin, coriander, ginger, turmeric and cinnamon stick in the oil and mix.
Add the butternut and mix through; making sure that the butternut is covered with the spice mixture.
Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
Remove the butternut mixture from the oven and transfer to a large pot.
Add the stock, orange juice and peel and honey.
Season with salt and pepper, cook for 20 minutes and remove from the heat to cool down a bit.
Process in a food processor and return to the pot.
Add the cream, heat through and serve sprinkled with some chives and crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment